Mozilla plans to implement support for Windows 8 in Firefox 14. Firefox for Metro, like all other Metro apps, will be fullscreen, focused on touch interactions, and connected to the rest of the Metro environment. Firefox will support three “snap” states – fullscreen, ~1/6th screen and ~5/6th screen. The “snap” state Firefox uses depends on how the user “docks” the other application.
Firefox 14.0 Beta introduces a new hang detector (similar to how Mozilla currently collects other data) will allow Mozilla to collect, analyze, and identify the cause of the browser freezing/hanging. Mozilla will use this information to improve the responsiveness of Firefox for future releases.
In addition to tackling freezing and not-responding errors that occur because of Firefox, Mozilla will implement opt-in activation for plugins such as Flash and Java. Mozilla wants to reduce potential problems that could arise through the unwanted use of third-party applications. (malware, freezing, etc.)
URL complete will suggest the website that Firefox believes the user plans on visiting. It does this by inserting the remaining characters into the URL form box.
Note: Firefox 14 is scheduled to be released on July 17, 2012.
Download Firefox 14.0 Beta 10:
Firefox 14.0 Beta 10 available for download at website listed below:
- Download Firefox 14.0 Beta 10 (All Systems & Languages)
- Download Firefox 14.0 Beta 10 for Windows (32-bit)
Note: Please do NOT use this Firefox Beta release on production machines. A Firefox Beta release should be considered for evaluation and testing purposes.
What’s new in Firefox 14.0 Beta
Firefox 14.0 Beta has the following changes:
- Google searches now utilize HTTPS
- Full screen support for Mac OS X Lion implemented
- Plugins can now be configured to only load on click (requires an about:config change)
- The Awesome Bar now auto-completes typed URLs
- Improved site identity manager, to prevent spoofing of an SSL connection with favicons.
- Pointer Lock API implemented.
- New API to prevent your display from sleeping.
- New text-transform and font-variant CSS improvements for Turkic languages and Greek.
- OS X: nsCocoaWindow::ConstrainPosition uses wrong screen in multi-display setup (752149)
Source:: Firefox 14.0 Beta Release Notes.